What is Reiki?
Reiki (pronounced “ray-key”) also known in some parts of the world as “Chi” is an ancient gentle form of healing which was developed in the early 20th century by Dr Mikao Usui. The energy works on the mental, emotional and physical levels. It helps to promote the body’s own natural self-healing ability, in turn bringing the mind and body back into balance and improving overall well-being.
Over a period of time, Reiki can help to reverse negative thought patterns and behaviors, bringing about transformation and a more optimistic outlook on life.
Reiki Healing known health benefits:
- Creates deep relaxation and helps the body to release stress and tension,
- It accelerates the bodies self-healing abilities, promoting a speedier recovery from illness or surgery
- Aids better sleep,
- Reduces blood pressure
- Can help with acute (injuries) and chronic problems (asthma, eczema, headaches, etc.) and aides the breaking of addictions,
- Helps relieve pain,
- Removes energy blockages, bringing the body into balance and harmony,
- Assists the body in cleaning itself from toxins,
- Reduces some of the side effects of drugs and helps the body to recover from drug therapy after surgery and chemotherapy,
- Supports the immune system,
- Increases vitality
- Helps spiritual growth and emotional clearing
What happens during a treatment?
During a treatment you will lie fully clothed on a couch or seated on a chair and covered with a blanket, as your body temperature may drop during the treatment. There is usually relaxing music playing in the back ground…all you need to do is relax!
The Reiki energy is channeled through the practitioner to you by laying their hands on or just above the body, depending on what you are most comfortable with. Because Reiki is an intelligent energy it flows intuitively to wherever it is needed the most for that persons highest good.
What can i expect to feel during a Reiki treatment?
Each person experiences Reiki differently depending on their individual needs at the time. Some people may feel sensations of warmth or heat, tingling, or experience seeing colors. Whilst others can have an emotional response, indicating that shifts are taking place, allowing harmony to be restored. Some people don’t feel anything at all except a deep feeling of peace and relaxation. In some cases they may fall asleep which is absolutely fine.
After a Reiki treatment most people feel very relaxed and calm. Some people report having one of their best nights sleep after their Reiki treatment.
I always advise that clients take their time before getting off the bed and not to drive until they feel fully aware and awake. I would also advise you to drink lots of water for the next day or so following a Reiki treatment to help with the elimination of any toxins trying to leave the body.
NB. Reiki is a complementary therapy and is not intended to replace medical care and advice. If you have any concerns about your health, you should consult your doctor.